Monday, February 3, 2014

Virtual runDisney Blog Hop: Training for the Princess Half Marathon weekend

Welcome to Didi and Patty's Princess weekend blog hop! In this edition, I'm going to be talking about Training!
Virtual Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend Blog Hop Directory

Whether it's your 1st race, or your 50th, you should always have a training plan. But before you get a training plan, you should consult your physician about starting any exercise routine. And while we're disclaiming, I am not a doctor or a dietician or anyone who should be the last word in YOUR training success. All runner's are different. The runDisney/ Jeff Galloway plans work well for me, but not everyone. You should ultimately pick a training plan that works best for you. What works for me doesn't work for everyone BUT I'm all about sharing the wealth when I do find what works for me, in case it might help you.


Did you know runDisney, with the help of Jeff Galloway, puts together training plans for each of their races? This includes all the race Challenges! Since I'm signed up for the Glass Slipper Challenge, it's what I'm using.

My first experience with back to back races was the 2011 WDW Half Marathon on Saturday and the WDW Marathon Relay on Sunday. Honestly, it didn't turn out so well. I  thought it was ok to just throw in a couple of back-to-back 8 milers into my training and be done with it. In other circumstances, that might've been fine, but I was also pre-race injured. Let's just say, that second leg of the marathon relay was NOT pretty and I'll never look at Oseola parkway the same again. I've found the key to challenge training for me is to incorporate early on a lot of back to back training runs. The more accustomed your body is to it, the better you'll do on race days.

Which is why when the inaugural Dumbo Dare Challenge rolled around, I thought it would be a good idea to look at the runDisney plan. The plan sounded extremely similar to what I was already doing, so why not? I loved that it was more of an intermediate runner plan, with high and low mileage weeks instead of just increasing miles. It also incorporated back to back runs early, which really helped ease my body into it. . . instead of just throwing it in and expecting it to react positively. I felt extremely prepared going into Dumbo and just wish the weather would've been more cooperative.

These plans are also known for taking you higher than the mileage for the race (ie. the marathon plan will have you running up to 29 miles and the half up to 14). While there are MANY training plans that do not go above 10 for half training/ 20 for full, and that's  perfectly ok, I think mentally being prepared knowing you can run the entire distance might be helpful in some cases. Not ready for all those miles? That's ok, too! I've also heard many people customize these plans to stop at the 20 mile training week and then proceed to taper. For me, The 14 mile training run worked perfectly since I was training for The New York City marathon as well.


When it came time to start training for Princess weekend, I took the Dumbo plan and moved the dates around (until runDisney updated their site). If you've been following along during my weekly updates, you'll know my training hasn't been going as "on schedule" as I want, but that's life. You make do as well as you can with what you've got and hope for the best, right? I think I've gotten enough solid back to back training runs in to get me through. This race weekend is also about having fun and enjoying the experience. There will be no PRs or Boston qualifying times for this gal. The least amount of pain post-race to enjoy the rest of my time on vacation is the goal.


And speaking of my weekly training updates, I've found they are extremely helpful in keeping me accountable. I know they're not the most popular blog post to write or read, but for me, having to admit what I did or did not do for training helps motivate me to not skip.

Are you running The Princess weekend? What's your training plan looking like? If you're looking forward to the weekend as much as we are, be sure to enjoy the rest of the blog hop. There are over 30 bloggers with 30 different topics! 

27 comments:

  1. Great post! Yeah, so, my training for Glass Slipper has pretty much been taken over by the full I'm running in March -- so I guess I'm sort of "blending" training plans right now. But, like you said, sometimes it's really, REALLY hard to stick to one particular plan. Life definitely does have a way of interfering sometimes, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Mine is definitely a blending as well. I think as long as we're doing some sort of training, we'll be fine!

      Delete
  2. I wish I had paid better attention to the training guide. Crossing my fingers for the GSC. I have been running 5 days consecutively giving myself the weekends for rest. I completely agree with your advice about starting early with back to back races.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a fan of the consecutive days running, personally, but I suck it up for these races.

      Delete
  3. I am running PHM and can't wait! I have a trainer design my training programs - he can either send me all my mileage ahead of time or I can check in with him weekly and he can adjust from there. I find that when I'm training to hit a time, the later program is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that I stumbled upon your training updates; not only do they motivate you, they motivate US! Learning from other's training experiences makes us all better. Thanks so much "teach", and thank you for joining the Virtual Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend Blog Hop!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the training plans that Jeff Galloway put together are such a valuable resource - I don't know how I would have done my first half without them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree and wish I would've stumbled upon them sooner!

      Delete
  6. I'm running GSC too but because of a recent injury my plan has been "tweaked".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok, as long as you're staying healthy! Hope it heals quickly!

      Delete
  7. Sorry if this is a repeat comment: I'm running GSC too but because of an injury my training plan has now been tweaked!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE Jeff Galloway and his plans...its why I run! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is pretty awesome! I don't think I'd ever attempted a half marathon without the run/walk!

      Delete
  9. I love that you post your training recaps and may start doing that too! I need something to help keep me accountable. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it is super important to have a plan, but as you mentioned, know that real life happens and you can adjust it if necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm doing the Glass Slipper too! My training plan is very similar to what I did for the Dumbo, in that it is not going well. CrossFit seems to be dominating my exercising and leaves me running not as often as I should or would like to. BUT, I'm optimistic that if I just focus on finishing and having fun and enjoying myself, I'll finish! Hopefully in one piece :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about Crossfit helping runners more than just running. Hope it all works out!

      Delete
  12. Great post! I don't run back to back days, like ever. But I was able to completely the Tink 10k and half with little problem. Now it's giving me the confidence to start considering Goofy again, but the training makes me nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never followed a just plan, but I have looked at them and I like what I've seen! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm a fan but also a fan of whatever works best for you.

      Delete
  14. This is actually the first time I haven't followed Galloway's training plan, and that's only because I just ran another half this past weekend so I was following the plan for that. I love his plans!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Galloway's plans are great! I know that one of the contributing factors to my "less than awesome" experience with the Tink Half is that I hadn't managed to get any back to back training in prior to doing that 10k/Half weekend. Great advice!

    ReplyDelete