Sunday, March 23, 2014

Nike Women's DC Training: 5 weeks to go!


Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 3.5M- 2 lower loops of Central Park

Wednesday: Yoga

Thursday3.5M- 2 lower loops of Central Park

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: Rest

Normally, the week after a half marathon, I like to make it a rest week. When Pam texted to ask if we were still running on Tuesday, I somehow forgot this and agreed. We ended up walking the 2 loops (I was still really soreand it turned out to be the best idea ever! Who knew active recovery works better than complete rest? I even did some yoga and went to the park again on Thursday as well. I should probably remember this for next time. Not all race weekends have giant theme parks to walk around for active recovery :) 

We've also decided we are going to train to get faster- for real this time. I've also decided I'm going to race one of the 10ks in June. There are a couple of half marathons (Nike Women's DC and The Brooklyn Half) on the schedule before that, but let's be honest, racing a 10k sounds a lot easier than double the distance. Baby steps. I'm glad I have someone to do this with and hope we will be able to motivate each other. Next week, we're going to start hills! 

I was contemplating a 6 mile long run this weekend to round out the productive week, but I'm just not feeling it. Who knows? I might decide to go for a walk later. Right now, I have a ginormous headache and I'm not sure if it's the wine from last night or other things . . but either way, the couch is calling my name and I'm not fighting it.

13 comments:

  1. I didn't realize you were doing the NWM DC - I am too! I'm using it as a training run for Brooklyn, not racing it, especially since I want to take in the sights along the course and not be worrying about my pace.
    Good thinking on the active recovery, I didn't do quite enough of that this time around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YaY! Hopefully we can meet up. I'm doing BK as well, so I agree about not racing DC.

      Delete
  2. Doesn't a 10K sound so much better? I ended up doing one this morning and sort of raced it...but I like the idea of training to get faster for real this time! :) You are going to motivate me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! Baby steps. If the 10k goes well, then we'll move up to the longer distances. Let's motivate each other!

      Delete
  3. There are times when your body really does need a full rest but active recovery is always my favorite because I feel like I've accomplished something and I feel better about myself after it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walking is awesome because it gets things moving without all the added stress on your body. I do understand succumbing to the call of the couch, though. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, racing 6.2 does sound a lot better than racing 13.1! Are you using a specific plan for speed work? I just found one that I'm going to start this week, we'll see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam is going to put one together. Which one are you using?

      Delete
  6. Another race that looks awesome. Sometimes I wish I lived on the east coast (although not this year considering the ice age you're experiencing. No thanks!). I love DC. I absolutely need to run a race there. (If I remember correctly- it's not your favorite city..? I don't even know why I might remember that...) Regardless, I hope you have an awesome time, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you remember that! haha! No, I'm not DC's biggest fan but I'm giving it another chance ;)

      Delete
  7. I'm jealous that you're doing NW. I hope to do one of them one of these years.
    I like to take a rest week after a half too. Although lately it's been more like a rest month. :/

    ReplyDelete